Are my fuses for AC, DC or both?

I have no idea and the text on the fuses doesn’t mention it either.

I have used them in my car, for ham/CB radios and in my power supply.

I was also planning on using them on my solar panel/battery system for added safety, but can’t until I find out if they add an arching risk.


My base antenna (DBJ-1)

My base antenna is an original DBJ-1 antenna made by Doctor Ed Fong himself or one of his students. This antenna does not need a ground plane nor ground plane radials.

The black tape for waterproofing. It is now hung a tad higher than in this picture.

DBJ1 20160307_154838-VM

I assembled it slightly differently than most, by having the plug on a “branched” piece of pipe instead of on the bottom. This, so the plug wouldn’t conflict with the fastening method. The segment of pipe below the antenna inside of it is reinforced with an extra piece of (smaller diameter) pipe.


You can buy his antennas on eBay or directly from his website.

Power-supply version 2.1

I’ve finished putting together my power supply for the radio. I initially had it in a plastic food container but planned on putting it in a pretty, old Christmas cookie tin from Norway, but then I found this pretty cash-box at Goodwill that was so perfect for this project. The white circuit breaker is for AC (5A 240VAC) and black for DC (20A 80VDC). Both are used or “new old stock” from ebay. I got the very large terminal blocks I used on the DC circuit breaker from Einar Tunby, a relative overseas. Both circuit breakers are fastened with “Extreme hold” double-stick tape. So here it is. Version 2.0:


I found out that touching a 100 Watt soldering iron with your bare hands is a bad idea. Luckily, I had a single Hydrocodon pill left over from a back injury a few years back.


I installed extra fuses on both AC and DC, tooth washer for improved conductivity/grounding inside and outside and extra ferrite cores for noise reduction. These improvements are made after suggestions from members in the facebook group Useful Amateur Radio Projects.


Home depot didn’t have rubber grommets small enough for my needs, so I taped the cables where they go through the case, put electrical ties and smeared with Shoe Goo on both sides. The result seem pretty solid.

It looked pretty sleek inside until I added three additional fuses for safety, making it version 2.1, messy, but even safer. I’m using it with the lid open until a fan I ordered arrives.


Finally powered up my stationary radios!! Not sure if the tiny amount of noise on AM CB is caused by the power supply, so I might add some filtering capacitors.


I was going to put in one or two small (40mm) PC fans into this, but after some thinking, changed my mind and cemented in a large PC fan with spacers (coke bottle caps). This should both help air escape (it’s somewhat under the ventilation holes in the lid) and also spread heat from the PSU itself to the case, hopefully making the case act as a large heatsink.

I glued a voltmeter to the fan, too. Makes voltage adjustments very convenient.


Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑